Scope This two-year programme offers advanced-level training in the theory, methods and applications of Statistics along with specialised training in selected areas of Statistics and allied fields. On successful completion of this programme, students will be able to pursue an academic/research career in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science and allied fields, depending on their chosen area of specialization. They will also be able to work competently as Statisticians and specialists in research institutions and scientific laboratories, government departments or industries. This programme is being offered this year a Kolkata, Chennai and Delhi.
Eligibility In order to be eligible for admission to this programme, an applicant must have
- a three-year Bachelor’s degree or a BE/B Tech degree with Statistics as a subject, or
- a B Math degree from ISI, or
- a Post-Graduate Diploma in Statistical Methods and Analytics from ISI.
Selection Procedure Students with B Stat (Hons) degree from ISI are offered direct admission to this programme without any selection test or interview. For all other eligible candidates, including students with a B Stat (Pass) degree from ISI, selection for admission to this programme is based on performance in written admission tests and subsequent interview.
The written admission test is designed to assess competence in the theory and methods of Statistics and comprehension in Mathematics, and has two parts:
- multiple-choice questions in Statistics and Mathematics at the under-graduate level in the first part, and
- short-answer questions in Statistics and Mathematics at the under-graduate level in the second part.
Students with B Stat (Hons) degree from ISI who are directly admitted to this
programme study their first year in Kolkata. Other selected candidates study
their first year in either Delhi or Chennai as decided by the institute.