The building was constructed in the year 1962. Apart from some academic units, this building houses a 195-seat auditorium (the Geology Auditorium) and a museum (Geology Museum). The museum contains several artifacts of geological as well as archeological significance, including dinosaur fossils.
The museum was first opened for public viewing in 1977. The main attraction of the museum is an almost complete fossil skeleton of a 47 feet long sauropod from the early Jurassic period (about 160 million years back). This fossil was discovered by ISI geologists during a 1958 exploration in the Pranahita-Godavari valley. It was excavated during a subsequent expedition in 1960-61. The dinosaur has been christened Barapasaurus tagorei. The name is a coinage of Bara pa, which means 'big leg' in Hindi, saurus, which is a standard suffix in zoological names of lizard-like creatures, and Tagore. The discovery coincided with the birth centinery year of the poet Rabindranath Tagore, who was a well-wisher of ISI.