Dr. Arunava Goswami
Agriculture and Ecological Research Unit
Indian Statistical Institute
203, Barrackpore Trunk Road
Kolkata 700 108. INDIA
Phone No.:91 33 2575-3227 / 3225 (office / lab)/ +91 33 2583-5226 (home)/ +91 9433479088 (mobile)
Fax:91 +33-2575-3049 (office)
- Post doctoral Fellow:
Department of Neurobiology, Harvard University, USA; March 1997-May 2000. Research: Study of the molecular biology of insect and rodent olfactory receptor at the genomic level.
- PhD in Molecular Biology:
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai; 1992-1997. Research: Cloning and characterization of a ribosomal phosphoprotein from Plasmodium falciparum.
- M. Sc. (Agriculture) with Genetics and Plant Breeding as major:
1st Class 1st; Calcutta University, Calcutta; 1989-1992.
- (Agriculture) Hons. With Genetics and Biochemistry as major:
1st Class 3rd; Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya, West Bengal; 1984-1989.
- Nanobiology, Nanobiotechnology, Biotechnology:
- Standard Molecular Biology tools like Cloning, Northern, PFGE etc.
- Biotechnology tools like Cell-Organ-tissue culture; ES cell culture and generation of transgenic animals.
- Malarial parasite culture; Immunology; Immuno-fluorescence Microscopy; Confocal Microscopy.
- Genomics and Proteomics tools; Chromosome walking using BAC and other reagents.
- Plant Tissue culture and use of plant bio-molecules as immuno-cytochemistry tools; Plant Biotechnology.
- Drosophila germline transformation and fly genetics; Using flybases for chromosome walking; Two hybrid protein-protein interaction system; Using YAC and P1 clones for regular molecular experiments.
Honours & Awards::
- Burroughs Welcome Fund fellow:
Distinguished young PhD Student status at Marine Biological Laboratory, USA; 1995. Travel fellowship for this tour was provided by the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust and Sir Ratan Tata Trust, Mumbai.
- Professor E. P. Odum Gold Medal :
By the "International Society for Ecological Communications",conferred on the occasion of the “International Symposium on "Recent Advances in Contemporary Biology, Environmental Issues & Sustainable Development" held on 29-30 September 2007 in India.
- Externally funded project (1) (Completed)
- Source of funding: ICAR (NAIP) (co-PI)
- Status: Completed on 01 October 2004
- Total grant: Rs. 16, 09,498.00
- spent: Rs. 16, 09,498.00
- Publications (Papers; Reviews and results): 05 papers
- Externally funded project (2) (Ongoing): “Development of Agro-Entomotoxic Nanoparticles and their use in Medical Science: Applied and Basic Aspects” (as Principal Investigator)
- Funding Agency: Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of India (DBT); Year: 2008-2011
- Total Grant: Rs. 1.2651 crore Rupees
- Total grant: Rs. 16, 09,498.00
- Publications: 12 papers, 01 invited review, 04 patents
- Externally funded project (3) (Ongoing): “Process for the protein-assisted nanocomposite synthesis of silica-protease/chitinase- humic acid (Si- protease/chitinase-HAs) as bioencapsulated pesticides” (as Co-PI)
- Funding Agency: Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of India (DBT); Year:2008-2011
- Total Grant Money received: Rs.20.0 lakhs
- Total Grant for ISI: Rs. 5.382 lakhs
- Publications: 2
- Externally funded project (4) (Ongoing): “Designing, and studying mode of action and biosafety of nanopesticides"
- Source of funding: ICAR (NAIP) (PI)
- Total grant money: Rs. 416.4388 lakhs
- Externally funded project (5)(ongoing): “Genetic manipulation based enhancement of microbial phosphate and nitrate remediation for waste water treatment”
- Source of funding( ICAR –National Fund for Basic,Strategic&Frontier Application Research in Agriculture)
- Total grant money; Rs. 192.63800 lakh
Ph.D Supervision: Seven (7) Research Scholars
- Ayesha Rahman:submitted for examination
- Nitai Debnath:Senior Research Fellow, AERU, BSD
Study of Biopesticidal Efficacy of Surface Functionalized Nanosilicas and Their Mode of Action at Molecular Level: Value Addition to These Nanosilicas
- Sumistha Das:Senior Research Fellow
Understanding Simple And Complex Biological Networks Using Nanotools.
- Samrat Roy Choudhry: Senior Research Fellow,NAIP
A comprehensive study on synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial efficacy of sulfur nanoparticles.
- Prasun Patra: Junior Research Fellow,DBT
Synthesis & Study of Biocidal Efficacy of Nano Zinc Oxides and Their Mode of Action on Selected Strains of Fungi and Bacteria.
- Shouvik Mitra: CSIR JRF
Porous and Nonporous Nanomaterials: Synthesis, Characterization, Biological and Biomedical Applications with special interest in synthesis and characterization of Silica, Zinc oxide and Carbon based nanomaterials for antimicrobial study, bio-imaging and specially in drug delivery.
- Saheli Pradhan: Junior Research Fellow, AERU, BSD
Nutrient nanoparticles and nanocides as putative modulators of phytophysiology and mammalian neural systems.
- Indrani Roy: Independent Researcher
Hexaconazole, as a novel naodispersion and potent fungicide.
- Sourov Chandra, Shouvik Mitra, Dipranjan Laha, Sourav Bag, Pradip Das, Arunava Goswami and Panchanan PramanikFabrication of multi-structure nanocarbons from carbon xerogel: a unique scaffold towards bio-imaging Chem. Commun., 2011, Advance Article DOI: 10.1039/C1CC11848J , (Springer Science) DOI: 10.1007/s10669-010-9293-6.
- Roy Choudhury, S., Pradhan, S., Goswami, A. (2010) Preparation and characterization of Acephate nano-encapsulated complex. Journal of Experimental Nanoscience. (Accepted, October 16, 2010).
- Goswami, Arunava and Rahman, Ayesha. (2010) Antiviral activity of (E)-cinnamaldehyde revisited with nanoscience tools. Available from Nature Precedings
- Seth, D., Roy Choudhury, S., Pradhan, S., Gupta, S., Palit, D., Das, S., Debnath, N., Goswami, A. (2010) Nature inspired novel drug design paradigm using nanosilver: Efficacy on multi-drug-resistant clinical isolates of Tuberculosis. Current Microbiology. Epub Oct 10, 2010. DOI: 10.1007/s00284-010-9770-7.
- Biswas, N., Rahman, A., Datta, A., Goswami, A., Brahmachary R.L.(2010) Nanoparticle surface as activation site, Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 10: 1–5.
- Goswami, A., Roy, I., Sengupta, S., Debnath, N. (2010) Novel applications of solid and liquid formulations of nanoparticles against insect pests and pathogens. Thin Solid Films, 519: 1252–1257. Epub August 20, 2010.
- Hassan, S. Sk., Choudhury, P.P., Pal, A., Brahmachary, R.L. and Goswami, A. (2010) L-Systems: A Mathematical Paradigm For Designing Full Length Genes And Genomes. Global Journal of Computer Science and Technology, 10: 119-122.
- Hassan, S. Sk., Choudhury, P.P., Pal, A., Brahmachary, R.L. and Goswami, A. (2010) Designing exons for human olfactory receptor gene subfamilies using a mathematical paradigm. Journal of Biosciences (Springer), 35(3): 389 - 393.
- Hassan, S. Sk., Choudhury, P.P., Pal, A., Brahmachary, R.L. and Goswami, A. (2010) Combination of L-systems: For Designing Human Olfactory Receptor Pseudo-gene, OR1D3P. International Journal of Computational Cognition. (Accepted for publication in 2011)
- Das, S., Debnath, N., Chandra, R., Roy, B., Brahmachary, R.L. and Goswami, A. (2010) Nano-gold and nano-zinc oxide: Effect on gustatory receptor genes in flies. International Journal of Nanoscience (In Press). Vol. 10: issue 1, Tentative date of publication: February 2011.
- D, Seth., Ultrichs, Ch., Mondal, M., Mukhopadhayay, S., Sasmal, N. K., Chandra, R., Gupta, S., Brahmachary, R. L. and Goswami, A. (2010) DSETHVASAN: novel Nanodrug Against Sleeping Sickness Disease. International Journal of Nanoscience (In Press). Vol. 10: issue 1, Tentative date of publication: February 2011.
- Debnath, N., Das, S., Brahmachary, R. L., Chandra, R., Sudan, S., and Goswami, A. (2010) Entomotoxicity assay of silica, zinc oxide, titanium di-oxide, aluminium oxide nanoparticles on Lipaphis pseudobrassicae. Proceedings of American Institute of Physics, 1276: 307-310.
- Choudhury, S.R., Nair, K.K., Kumar, R., Gogoi, R., Srivastava, C., Gopal, M., Subramanium B.S., Devakumar, C. and Goswami, A. (2010) Nanosulfur: Potent fungicide against food pathogen, Aspergillus niger. Proceedings of American Institute of Physics, 1276: 154-157.
- Patra, P., Roy, I., Kumar, R., Gopal, M., Devakumar, C., Gogoi, R., Srivastava, C., Subramanium, B.S., and Goswami, A. (2010) Characterization of Nanocomposites in Flyash for Possible Pesticide Application. Proceedings of American Institute of Physics, 1276: 144-147.
- Ulrichs, Ch., Schmidt, U., Mucha-Pelzer, T., Goswami, A. and Mewis, I. (2009) Hard Coal Fly Ash and Silica-Effect of Fine Particulate Matter Deposits on Brassica chinensis. American Journal of Agricultural and Biological Sciences, 4 (1): 24-31.
- Goswami, A., Rahman, A., Biswas, N., Ulrichs, Ch., Büttner, C., Bramhachary, R.L. and Datta, A. (2009) Nanoparticle–Virus Complex Shows Enhanced Immunological Effect Against Baculovirus. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 9: 5567-5571.
- Rahman, A., Seth, D., Mukhopadhyaya, S. K., Brahmachary, R.L., Ulrichs, Ch. and Goswami, A. (2009) Surface functionalized amorphous nanosilica and microsilica with nanopores as promising tools in biomedicine. Naturwissenschaften, 96: 31–38.
- Ulrichs, Ch., Mewis, I., Adhikary, S., Bhattacharyya, A. and Goswami, A. (2008) Antifeedant activity and toxicity of leaf extracts from Porteresia coarctata Takeoka and their effects on the physiology of Spodoptera litura (F.). J. Pest Sci.-Springer, 81: 79-84.
- Welke, B., Mewis, I., Mucha-Pelzer, T., Goswami, A. and Ulrichs, Ch.(2008) Fine silica particles onto fruit tree stems against Woolly apple aphid, Eriosoma lanigerum (Hausm.) and European earwig, Forficula auricularia L., Gesunde Pflanzen-Springer, 60: 15-21.
- Mucha-Pelzer, T., Debnath, N., Goswami, A., Mewis, I. and Ulrichs, Ch. (2008) Applications of different silicas on the plant insect pests Epilachna vigintioctopunctata und Spodoptera litura F. Gesunde Pflanzen-Springer, 60: 23-28.
- Mucha-Pelzer, T., Debnath, N., Goswami, A., Mewis, I. and Ulrichs, Ch. (2008) Comparison of different silica of natural origin as possible insecticides. Comm. Appl. Biol. Sci., 73 (3): 621-628.
- Ulrichs, Ch., Welke, B., Mucha-Pelzer, T., Goswami, A. and Mewis, I. (2008): Effect of solid particulate matter deposits on vegetation. Functional Plant Sciences and Biotechnology, 2(1): 56-62.
- Rahman, A., Ulrichs, Ch., Büttner, C., Brahmachary, R. L. and Goswami, A. (2008) Nanoparticle-virus complex shows enhanced immunological effect against baculovirus. International Conference on nanoscience and technology (ICONSAT-2008). 27-29. February 2008. In: Baldev Raj (ed.) Book of abstracts, E002.
- “Nanobiotechnology: Basic &Applied Aspects”, Editors Arunava Goswami, Indrani Roy, Samrat RoyChoudhury, Anthem Press, India.
- 04 patents with DBT, 01 patent with ICAR
- 02 patents with ICAR (in the process)
- Nanosilica based 03 pesticides
- Nanosulfur based 02 fungicides
- Nano-hexaconazole and nano-acephate for Indian Agro-industry
- Nano-aluminosilica and nanosilver based drugs against 100% lethal grasserie disease of silkworm and drug resistant human pathogenic bacteria respectively.