About Indian Statistical Institute and Geological Studies Unit

 

 

 

Prof. P. C. Mahalanobis

 

Dr. P. L. Robinson

     

 

Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata. R. A. Fisher building.

 

 

The Indian Statistical Institute is known worldwide as a premier institution devoted to research and teaching in statistics and mathematics. Founded by Prof. P. C. Mahalanobis, FRS, in 1931, the Institute gained the status of an Institution of National Importance in 1959. The main centre of the Institute is located in Kolkata with two major centers in Delhi and Bangalore. Other offices of the Institute are located in several cities of India.

 

 
     

Prof. Mahalanobis believed that a symbiotic relationship between statistics and other academic disciplines will be mutually beneficial. This idea received strong support from the stalwarts like Sir Ronald Fisher and Prof. J. B. S. Haldane, who were closely associated with the Institute. The Institute initiated its research and teaching activities in such a way that the research in statistics and mathematics can advance simultaneously with the researches on various branches of social, biological, computer, physical and earth sciences.

 

New academic building.

     

Mounted dinosaur (Barapasaurus tagorei) skeleton at the GSU Museum.

  With this view in mind Dr. Pamela L. Robinson of University College of London was invited to visit the Institute. Her visit was followed by the establishment of the Geological Studies Unit in the Indian Statistical Institute in 1957. Since its inception the GSU has pursued research mainly on the vertebrate fossil assemblages of Indian Gondwanas, the Proterozoic and Gondwana basins of India, and the Precambrian orogenic belts In consonance with the objectives of the Institute, the active collaboration between geologists and statisticians led to the development of several new methodologies for analysis of geological data and numerical modeling of geological processes.